A slower pace?
Since landing in Singapore, it feels as if the pace has slowed down a bit however when I sit here and think of the last couple of days, I realise that they have been just as full, perhaps I'm just getting used to this travelling lifestyle *grin*
On Saturday, after I wrote my last entry, we met up with some of Charlotte's friend Chelsia's friends (keep up) and went to Little India for some food. Now, I've said before that Singapore is a melting pot of many different cultures, it's not just the Chinese and Malaysian influences that are all around you, though a minority, there are also many Indians. Walking through Little India, you got a feeling of being in a different place... people crossed the road when they felt like it, there was the pervasive smell of curry in the air, and the ubiquitious shops selling gold indian jewelery and saris.
Then we passed a temple where it was obvious that something special was going on, people seemed to be going in and out freely so we decided to explore. There we encountered a Hindu wedding taking place. At first the groom was waiting for the bride to get ready then she turned up beautifully dressed in red..
No one seemed to mind that we were taking pictures, indeed, this interesting Australian (indian) woman gave us a lovely commentary on what was going on. But we were hungry and were meeting friends so had to leave before the end.
The next morning we woke up and went back to ARPC to the service. It really struck me this week (as I was well rested) that it was quite similar to St. Helens in many ways, mostly the emphasis on the teaching of the word. The sermon was on Mark 2:18 - 3:6. It seems that I am keeping up with my RML group back in London whether I like it or not! The sermon started with the question of religion and looked at how Jesus dealt with the religious leaders of the time. He didn't argue with them, instead asked them questions designed to make them think and realise that they had enslaved the people with a multitude of rules which where not required of God. The conclusion, religion is futile because it won't bring glory to God, some other way of salvation is needed.
After (an American) lunch with some friends, we went to the Singapore Botanical gardens for a stroll...
Beautiful, a real reminder of God's amaizing creation. But hot... and sticky... we desperately needed a cool refreshing swim in the 50 metre swimming pool a short walk from the house. I did 12 lengths, nothing compared to what I used to do but necessary for the feast at the hawker centre we visited that evening for dinner.
Maybe we were hungry after the swim, or maybe it was the atmosphere but I think that was the best meal I've had this trip. Well, gotta go now, today: The Zoo


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home